Sandusky, MI

A caring community with quality services that focuses on people, where a business and community partnership creates opportunities for all.”

downtownSandusky History

Sandusky (that’s Michigan, not Ohio), incorporated as a village in 1885, was named by Wildman Mills. Mills was a large landholder in the area, and a lumberman. He named the City after Sandusky, Ohio. Mills was a former resident of Sandusky, Ohio which was named by his father. In 1879, the city became the county seat after a squabble with the village of Lexington where it was originally located. In 1887, the name of Sandusky was changed to Sanilac Centre. The name was changed because of its location in the exact center of Sanilac County. On July 24, 1905 the village was incorporated as a city and the name reverted to Sandusky.

memlogo
Take the "Memories of Yesterday" Photo Tour

Sandusky 2010

Sandusky has many recreational opportunities and is a beehive of activity. It is home to the annual Michigan Thumb Festival in June, the Sanilac County 4-H Fair in July, and the popular Country Christmas Lighted Farm Implement Parade in December.

downtownThe City, which is located on two state highways (M-46 & M-19), is home to a growing industrial park, excellent educational and health care facilities, and modern well-equipped, well-trained, Police and Fire Departments.

If you would like further information about the business and residential opportunities in and around Sandusky contact the:

City of Sandusky
26 West Speaker Street
Sandusky, Michigan 48471
Phone: (810) 648-4444
Fax: (810) 648-3959
Email: sandusky.michigan@gmail.com

Calendar | Forms | Maps | Site Index